At Orange County CyberKnife, we provide world-class cancer care to patients throughout the greater Orange County and Los Angeles areas. And while we’re proud to offer a variety of high-quality cancer treatments to our patients, sometimes, there’s one person in the cancer treatment equation that doesn’t get the care they need: the person caring for the cancer patient. Caring for someone with cancer is exhausting both mentally and physically, and it’s easy to lose track of your own needs. If you’re in the process of caring for someone fighting cancer, here are a few tips to help you care for yourself in the process.
Self-Care When Helping Someone with Cancer
Fighting cancer is hard, but caring for someone with cancer is its own form of battle. If you’re working to care for someone who’s been diagnosed with cancer, here are a few simple steps you can take to make sure you get the care you need, too.
- Pay Attention to Your Own Needs: Caring for someone with cancer can be taxing on the body and the mind. Pay close attention to your own feelings and needs, and if your body is telling you something, listen.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Take a Break: You’re not a robot. Take time to yourself whenever you need it, and if you find it hard to pull away, schedule time to decompress in advance.
- You’re Not Alone: It may feel like you have to do everything yourself, but you don’t. Enlist the help of friends and family members to handle things for you that you can’t manage. Chances are, they’ll be glad to lend a hand.
- Switch It Up: Even though you’re providing care, it’s important not to let the caregiver/patient dynamic define your entire relationship. Take time to watch movies, eat meals, and simply sit and talk to get a break from the normal routine.
- Be Honest About Your Feelings: If things start to feel like too much, be honest with the person you’re caring for. Open communication is always better than keeping things bottled inside.
Contact Your Orange County Cancer Center
We hope these tips help make the caregiving process a little easier on you – and if you’re still looking for more help, we’re here for you. At OC CyberKnife, we see every day how difficult it can be to care for someone with cancer, and whether you’re looking for a second opinion on your cancer treatment or just want someone to talk to, we can help. Contact us today to learn more about our center or to schedule a consultation for treatment. We can’t wait to hear from you.