The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that weighs about 1 ounce. It surrounds the neck of a man’s bladder, specifically, the urethra. The urethra carries urine from the bladder of the body. Behind the prostate is the rectum, which is why doctors can feel the gland by hand from the recturm. The prostate makes a fluid that sustains semen.
The world renowned radiation oncology team at Orange County CyberKnife are experts in treating cancer of the prostate gland. Prostate cancer is the formation of abnormal cells in the prostate gland which create a lump. The cells can grow rapidly and sometimes spread to other parts of the body. It is the most common non-skin cancer for American men, affecting 1 in 7.
Your Orange County CyberKnife team will discuss the array of advanced non-surgical radiation treatment options available to you and the success rates with each type. When caught early, before spreading to other parts of the body, prostate cancer is extremely treatable as shown in the chart below:
|Prostate Cancer Survival Rates*|
|5-Year Survival Rate||10-Year Survival Rate||15-Year Survival Rate|
* Percent still living after initial diagnosis. Includes all stages of men who die of prostate cancer.
Almost all prostate cancers are considered acinar adenocarcinoma type (90%). This type of cancer begins in the prostate gland cells, grows slowly and is not likely to spread. There are a few subtypes of adenocarcinoma, but they are all treated the same. The other 10% of prostate cancers may be one of six other types of rare cancer and so knowledge about best treatments is limited.
There are only a few risk factors that have proven that they might affect a man’s risk of getting prostate cancer. There are many more that researchers think MAY have an impact. And, there are a few others that have been rumored to be risk factors, but there is no evidence linking them to prostate cancer. Having one or more risk factors doesn’t mean you’re going to get cancer.
Prostate cancer is also most common in North America, northwestern Europe, Australia, and on Caribbean islands. It is less common in Asia, Africa, Central America, and South America. The reasons for this are not clear, but may be related to the ability to screen more patients in developed countries. Other lifestyle differences might be important as well. For example, for men in the U.S., the risk of developing prostate cancer is 17%. For men who live in rural China, it’s 2%. However, when Chinese men move to the western culture, their risk increases substantially.
At Orange County CyberKnife, you’ll find a variety of radiotherapy options to treat both cancerous and non-cancerous tumors throughout the body, including the non-surgical CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery system. Find out more about prostate cancer here:
If you have more questions after reading these pages, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (714) 962-7100 or reach out to us through our Contact Us page. Our knowledgeable Southern California staff will be happy to answer all of your questions.